Turkey Trot

20151116-210432-2dkhle1.jpg

Turkey Trot

State Standard: 1, 2, 3

Equipment: Bucket of Yarn Balls (or other small balls for throwing), 2 Cones, 2 Scooters, & turkey pictures. Grade: 2-5
Purpose of Event: Demonstrate throwing at a moving target.
Time: 15-20 minutes
Description:
Divide the class into 2 teams, I put each team on each side of the gym floor (turkey hunters).  Then I pick two student to be the Turkey Trot (pulling the scooter with a rope attached).Rules: The turkey hunters have to stay behind the out of bounce lines trying to throw the ammunition (yarnballs) at the turkey’s being pulled by the turkey trotters from each end of the basketball court. Once a turkey hunter throws their ball they are allowed to go inside the basketball court and retrieve more ammunition, but they MUST be behind the out of bounce lines before they can attempt another throw.  If a turkey is knocked of the cone via a yarnball being thrown by a turkey hunter the turkey trotter must sit and wait till game is over (the other turkey being knocked off) or the time limit is up and we switch turkey trotters. I play for a minute or two and then rotate jobs.

Safety: Make students are not running into one another with the scooters and make students are not throwing the yarnballs at students!! Must be trying to aim at the turkeys (cones).  Moving in General Space.

This idea is from: Adapted from Jason Steele in Minot, ND. www.pecentral.com

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!