Green Eggs & Ham Relay

Green Eggs & Ham Relay

State Standard: 1, 2, & 4

Equipment: 4 Hula-Hoops, 1 Mat, Several small cones and beanbags (green in color) Grade: K-5
Purpose of Event: Students will participate in a relay race themed around the Dr. Seuss book Green Eggs & Ham.
Time: 20-25 minutes
Organization:  Divide the class into 4 teams (relay style) and have them line up behind the baseline at one end of the gym. Place 4 hula-hoops with 5 small green cones (Ham) and a couple beanbags (eggs) in each. These will represent the green Eggs and Ham. Place a mat at the other end of the gym. This will represent the “garbage” where the students are to place their green Eggs and Ham. 

Green Eggs & Ham Relay: On the signal, one student will run with one of their green eggs and ham and try to place that item in the garbage without getting tagged by the “Sam I am.” The “Sam I am’s” are two taggers (have a green noodle) who are to trying to prevent the relay teams from getting rid of their green eggs and ham as they want them to keep and eat (as in the Dr. Seuss Story). If a student gets tagged by the “Sam I am” that student must return either the green egg or ham back to their team and then the next person goes. The game is over when one of the four teams gets rid of their green eggs and ham first. Once a team has won or the time limit is up (teacher’s choice) switch “Sam I am” taggers.

Concerns: Move safely around the gym. Make sure students are taking turns and staying their lines. Taggers should be tagging in a safe manner as well.
This idea is from: Myself 

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!