Softball-Football

Softball-Football

State Standard: 1, 2, 3, & 4

Equipment:  Bases, 1 football or Rag Football
Grade: 3+
Purpose of Event: Throwing Skills and Running
Time: 15+ minutes
Description: 

Played like regular softball/baseball, but instead of batting, the pitcher throws a football to the batter, the batter catches the ball and throws it anywhere in the field.  After throwing, the batter runs to first base, and/or advances on to other bases.

Field players try and catch the pass.  If they do, it is two points for the fielding team.  The batter/runner is NOT out if the ball is caught. The runner could get out if they throw or run the football to the base the runner is going to, as in softball/baseball.  To encourage best throws from the batter, they also get ONE point if the ball is caught.  Runners also earn points/runs by advancing to all of the bases, and when they touch home plate, they get a point/run for their team.

Variations:  Allow fielder to tag a runner while they are advancing to the next base.  

OR: Allow the field players to throw the ball at the runner (use rag balls) if the runner catches the ball, the runner gets the point, and can throw the ball again from where they are at when they catch the ball.  The “re-throw” would score the same way for the fielding team, assuming the fielding team catches the “re-throw”.  If the runner touches the throw from the fielder, but does not catch it, they are out, and do not score any points.

When I play with Hi-Li Scoops, all of the throwing, catching, “batting” is done with the scoops.  I don’t have a pitcher.

Concerns: Use a ball that is safe/soft.  I don’t allow sliding, or “over-running” on first ball.  
This idea is from:

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!