PHYSICAL EDUCATION LESSON
JUMPING & HOPPING WITH HOOPS
EQUIPMENT: 1 hoop for each student
FOCUS: Jumping and hopping with good control
ACTIVITY: (15-18 min.)
Organization: Have each row of students walk up and get a hoop. Tell the students to take it back and sit down quietly in their hoop until further instruction.
Jumping & Hopping with Hoops:
- Can you balance on your right (left) foot in the center of the hoop?
- Can you jump around the hoop going forwards (backwards)?
- Can you jump in and out of the hoop?
- Can you jump forward into your hoop and jump backward out of your hoop?
- With one foot inside your hoop and one foot outside the hoop, can you jump around the hoop?
- Can you repeat #5 going backwards?
- Can you hop inside your hoop 5 times on your right (left) foot?
- Can you hop forward around the outside of your hoop?
- Can you hop in and out of your hoop?
Hoop Patterns: Arrange the students in small groups, each group at 1 of 5 stations. Rotate the groups to new stations every 1-2 minutes.
Station 1: Lay the hoop in a straight line. Have the students jump or hop forwards and backwards through the hoops.
Station 2: Lay the hoop in two straight lines side by side. Have the students straddle jump or hop forward and backward through the hoops.
Station 3: Lay the hoops in a zigzag formation. Have the students hop or jump forward and backward through the hoops.
Station 4: Lay the hoops like station 2, but space them out a little. Have the student jump or hop sideways through the hoops.
Station 5: Lay the hoops in a hopscotch pattern. Have the students hop through the hoops. 1-2-1-2-1.