Scooter Football

PE_Wordle

Scooter Football 

State Standard: 1, 3

Equipment: One scooter per player, 4 cones, One Nerf Football, gym tape, Colored Jersey’s, & Music Grade: 3-5
Purpose of Event: Manipulation, Control, Team Play, Throwing, and Catching
Time: 15-20 minutes
Organization: Form two equal teams with each team starting in its half of the gym.  Students should be sitting on their scooters with one team having the football.  Use two cones, spaced 10 feet apart, to mark out the touchdown area at each end of the gym along floor tape.

Scooter Football:

1. The object of the game is for each team to score touchdowns by passing the football to their teammates in the touchdown area.
  2. On the signal the team with the football begins by throwing the ball to their teammates while on their scooters making their way towards the opponents end zone.
  3. Each touchdown is worth 7 points. Once a team scores the other team gains possession of the ball at their own end zone.
  4.  I play girls vs girls from each team for about 2-3 minutes and then the boys from each team come in a play against one another for the same amount of time. **Note: I hardly (if ever) separate boys & girls, but in this particular game I find with my students I gain more participation (opportunity to throw and catch the football)  from all students. I do explain to the students why I do this to check for understanding.**

Rules:

1. Student with the football are NOT allowed to move their scooter. Once they have made a successful pass to their teammate they are allowed to move their scooter again.
  2. Turnovers take place whenever the ball makes contact with the floor or a player from the opposing team makes an interception.
  3. No “puppy guarding”. In other words students can try and block the opposing team from trying to throw the ball, but they are NOT allowed to stay in the same spot (need to keep moving).
Concerns: NO Rough Play, Students running into each other with scooters, & watch for fingers being rolled over with scooter.
This idea is from: I have seen a version of this from several teachers.

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!