Space Ship Tag

Space Ship Tag

State Standard: 1, 2, & 4

Equipment:   9 planets (picture) 10 cones, Alien/space ship (picture)2-3 foam noodles (tagging), music (star wars theme would be great!) Grade: K-2
Purpose of Event: Movement in general space, learning planet names and locations
Time: 10-15 minutes
Description: 

Put one cone in the middle of the gym and attach the picture of the space ship/alien to it.  Place the other 9 cones out around the gym in orbit, placing one planet picture on each cone (make sure they are in order).

Choose 2-3 students to be Aliens (taggers)  when the music starts, have the Aliens try and touch the students.  Students (Astronauts) move around the gym from planet to planet.  When they are on a  planet they are “safe”  but may only stay on a planet for the count of 3, I have them say the name of the planet when they count (ie. Earth 1,  Earth 2, Earth 3)  Once the 3 seconds are up, they must go to a new planet.

If an Astronauts is touched by and Alien, they must go to the space ship in the middle of the gym.  An Astronaut that is not “tagged” gives them a high “ten” and says “BEAM ME UP” and they are both free to roam the galaxy again!

Switch Aliens often!

Concerns: Moving safe in general space, tag safely. I use pool noodles as tag sticks. 
This idea is from: 

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!