Locomotor License

Locomotor License

State Standard: 1, 3, 4

Equipment: Hoop for each students; MusicStudents must have a general knowledge of personal/general space, and be able to move safely in gym. Students must also know basic locomotor skills, in addition to other non-locomotor skills. Grade: K-2
Purpose of Event: Students will practice locomotor skills and moving safely in personal and general space.
Time: 15-20 minutes
Description:

Each student is given a spot on the floor, this is their personal space, no one else is allowed to be on their spot.  We use our hands/arms to make a circle around our bodies, this is also our personal space.  Then I walk around the gym walking in the general space.  I next have them move in the general space. 1-2 minutes

Now we are ready for the hoops (cars!) I tell each student that their spot is their parking garage, and when the music stops they must go back to the garage right away, when it is playing they can move in the general space, using the locomotor movement that I tell them.  The Hoop will be the car, it is their personal space, they are the only person in the car, and they don’t want to touch anyone else, “crash”.

The teacher is known as the Police Officer, or Traffic Cop, and will be looking for safe drivers!  Hand each student a Hoop, and have them follow the movement cues.  Here are some examples:

Speed limit: Walking Bumpy Road: Skipping
Narrow Road: Galloping School Crossing: Slow Motion Walking
Road Construction: Leap over Pot holes (spots on floor) Flat Tire: Hopping (one foot)
Interstate driving: Running Shiners: All in one line/follow the leader
Out of gas: take a brake at your spot, and fill up Traffic Jam: 5 Bell jumps! (Feet together, jump side to side)
Raining: Windshield wipers (do 5 Jumping Jacks) Emergency: Freeze right where you are!
Stuck in the mud: Run in place Ambulance: to closest wall
Other modes of transportation’s: sailboat, van, taxi, space shuttle, police car, motorcycle, jet, ship, hot air balloon, tug boat, dump truck, train, canoe, bicycle, lots of possibilities!

Locomotor Movements: run, walk, hop, skip, jump, leap, slide, gallop, step-hopNon-Locomotor Movements: bending, twisting, turning, rocking, swaying, balancing, stretching, pushing, pulling

Fun Stuff: march, swim, robot, stiff, smooth, skate, float, fly, tiptoe, Pac man (stay on lines), slow motion, straight, curvy, zig zag, windy, wide, skinny, centipede (step one foot right in front of other), hard smooth, snowman melting, and that is just a few!

You can also create a license for each student, students not following directions receive a ticket (check mark on the license). Students with 3 check will have their license revoked and be sent to traffic school….time away from the game. Laminate the License and collect them at the end of class.

I have gotten a Transportation Bulletin board set that has 20+ vehicles on it that I hold up so they can see what the vehicles look like, fun visual!  They also have the word to go with the photo, so I can add a little spelling in to my class too, Principals love that!

Eagles Drivers License

Student Permit       Name: Eric Eagle

Grade:_____         Height: Just Tall Enough     Weight: Just My Size

Address: 701 S. Roberts Ave, SD 57103

Traffic Violations:      1:_____     2: _____     3: _____

Restrictions: NONE!  I know my locomotor and non-locomotor skills

Concerns: Make sure students are moving safely! No Crashing allowed!
This idea is from: Tracy Nelson, Associate Professor, South Dakota State University,  Brookings S.D. Orginal idea from a lesson found on PE Central, by Kimberly Kennell www.pecentral.com/lessonideas called Locomotor License; a lesson from Becky Farra called Driving Warm Up www.pittschools.org  farrafmy@mwt.net and some ideas of my own!

About mrkirsch

Greetings from Garfield Elementary School! My name is Dan Kirsch. I teach Physical Education for students in grades K-5! Please read about what students are learning within our Physical Education program at Garfield!!